Sunday, July 31, 2011

The First Day (....for real this time)

Well, here we are again, getting ready to start the first day of school.  I think I'm as ready as I'll ever be for this.  I've got the big whiteboard, the US and World maps on the walls (along with a couple of other educational posters), and a schedule that should help keep us all on track.  I even managed to get this week's lesson plan down for both boys - although, Devon's is missing a couple of important subjects.  I just haven't been able to find anything on them/figure out how to start.  A lot of things are going to have to wait until I get my financial aid from school....

In the meantime, I'm already starting to get some resistance from Devon.  When he saw on the schedule that we were going to do bible study at the end of the every day, he started to lock up.  He tells me he hates the religion. I tell him it really doesn't matter whether he likes it or not because we're going to study it just like we're going to study Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, and all of the other major religions of the world. He was decidedly not happy about it.  We're reading the bible this year along with the Dhammapada.  I'm excited because while I'm not a religious person by any means, I've always wanted to read the bible....to really see more of what's in it besides just the stuff that everyone talks about in casual conversation.

On another subject, we've had a household vote on the "official" school name, mascot, and colors.  And the winners are:
(drum roll please!)

School Name:  Starfleet Academy for Earthlings
School Mascot:  Spock
School Colors:  Rainbow

I get to be the Starfleet Commander.  Best.  Job.  Ever.

I put this on the white board for the boys to see tomorrow when I'm at work. :-)

Random thought before going to bed:  We watched the new Star Trek movie today to get ready for school tomorrow.  You should be jealous.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you ought to get them some school tees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love too, we just have to come up with a design.

    ReplyDelete