Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The aftermath

Oy, today was definitely a learning day for me!  I did the lesson plan.  I filled him in.  I even spaced it out over the entire day.  I had enticements and flat out bribes.  I even had the pleading puppy eyes down pat.  I still barely survived.

He had 7 math problems, a spelling list, and a writing prompt.  Easy peasy don't you think?  No...he broke down into tears.  There were some math problems he'd never seen before, words he didn't even know the meaning of (and weren't in my dictionary...I need a better one) so how could I expect him to put them into a sentence....and the biggest thing that he just couldn't understand was that he hadn't even had a summer vacation and how could I be such a horrible mother to not even let him have a summer vacation!?!?!?

I had to run an errand in the afternoon.  I had given him his list of spelling words to write into sentences and the (obviously lacking) dictionary to look words up while I was gone.  After going through everything above I finally gave in.  I didn't have time to sit and console my child about how everything would be fine for two reasons: 1. I was going to miss my bus and 2. He was absolutely right.  I was a horrid mother who didn't even let her child have a summer vacation.  So I told him he didn't have to do anything and that we could discuss it later.

We came to a compromise.  First I asked him how much time of summer vacation he needed and after some bargining, we agreed on 1 full month.  Then I told him that I would agree to a month of having fun on 2 conditions.  First, we had to continue doing the things from the calendar.  I mean really, tomorrow's holiday is to "Yell 'Fudge!' at cobras in North America"....who wouldn't want to do that - plus I could sneak some learning in about snakes and stuff.  Second, he still had to do his writing prompts every day.  He agreed very quickly and so it seems that our journey has started.

Now, as to what we learned today about feet...we stumbled onto an article about "Why do my feet stink" and here's a particularly interesting snippet (talking about sweat):
"The smell is actually caused by bacteria on our skin that eats the sweat and excretes waste that has a strong odor. "

Here are some photos we found along the way.





 And one more thing for you to enjoy.  Here's a video of a man with backwards feet, dancing.  He's pretty inspirational.

No comments:

Post a Comment