Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Why I decided to do it.

First of all, I'm not exactly the type of person you would expect to homeschool.  I'm a single mom, a full-time student, and I don't have a job....but I love my boys and I want what's best for them.  Let me explain something right away.  My older son...my hummingbird, D...has had difficulty in the public school system ever since 1st grade.  He doesn't have the type of personality that thrives in that atmosphere....and he's suffering for it.  My younger son, Little-A, has never had any issues in school.  He's always been on honor roll, he's had stupendous teachers, great schools, and even better friends.

So why do I want to pull my son out of what appears to be something good for him?  It's selfish, and I know it.  I want to spend more time with my baby before he gets too old to want to hang out with me.  I want to experience him as the wonderful kid he is.  I want to be able to explore the world through his amazing eyes....and I want to do it before the public school system drains the creativity from him.

I want the same for D but it will be different for him because he's already going into 9th grade.  He's at the age where he's trying to be an adult but isn't exactly sure how.  I want to be his role model.  I want him to understand that learning shouldn't be stressful or something you have to do.  Learning should be fun and exciting and something you do every day simply because that's how life is.

D is ready...this goes without question.  Little-A is fighting me tooth and nail.  His biggest concern is that he'll never see his friends again.  He won't accept when I say he will, just not every day.  He wants to experience Middle School (he's going into 6th grade).  He doesn't want to be the new kid again and have to make new friends.

Am I nervous?  Yes....but I have faith in my abilities as a mother and a teacher and I know that my boys will turn out alright.  I believe in myself and my children....and my ability to find help when I get lost.

I'm also realistic.  I know it's not always going to be sunshine and rainbows, especially since they've both been in the PS school system for so long.  There's going to be a long period of deschooling before we start.  I'm prepared for this, and so far I've gotten nothing but encouragement.

Here's hoping it continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment